Call to Schedule An Appointment Today!
One of the last things a homeowner wants to see in their chimney is water. Leaks can lead to rust, corrosion, damaged masonry and a host of other problems that, left unaddressed, can be frustrating, unsafe and expensive.
If you think your chimney has a leak, or that water is getting into your system, call Billy Sweet Chimney Sweep. We can figure out what’s wrong, and make it right.
The parts designed to protect your chimney from water are also common sources of leaks.
Chimneys are built with parts that are designed to help keep their worst enemy — water — away. But since those parts tend to be bearing the brunt of water’s attempts to get in, they can get damaged and end up being the source of a leak.
- Chimney Cap – A chimney cap — the protective cover at the top of your chimney, usually made of steel, copper or iron — helps keep rain out of your chimney and water out of your system. If your cap is damaged or missing, it could be the source, or part, of your problem.
- Chimney Crown – The masonry at the top of your chimney, below the cap, is called the crown, and it’s working hard to direct water, snow and sleet away from your chimney. But cracks and spalling can develop over time, allowing water to get into the masonry.
- Flashing – Your chimney has flashing where it meets the roofline, and it’s meant to stop water from getting in. Damaged flashing is another common cause of leaks.
Those are just a few ways your chimney might be leaking.
Leaks can often be a combination of several issues, so pinpointing the source is a complex process. That’s why it’s important to hire expert chimney technicians like the ones at Billy Sweet Chimney Sweep to fix a leak — we fix chimney leaks every day, so we can trace the problem or problems and help you design a course of action to correct it.
A few preventative measures homeowners can take to ward off leaks:
- Repair or replace your chimney cap – A chimney cap is a simple barrier against water, and it’s often overlooked. And beyond helping keep water out of your chimney, a cap also keeps out animals and debris, and keeps embers and sparks from getting out of your chimney. Our certified chimney sweeps can install or replace a cap that works for your chimney’s needs and the look of your home.
- Check your chimney damper – Your chimney’s damper seals off the flue when you’re not using your fireplace or stove, which helps keep animals and debris out, keeps hot or cool air that you want inside from escaping, and is another way to help keep water out of your chimney and home. Let Billy Sweet Chimney Sweep make sure your damper is functioning properly, and if there’s a problem, repair or replace it.
- Waterproof your chimney – Billy Sweet Chimney Sweep can apply a protective waterproofing sealant that fends off the elements and extends the life of your chimney.
If you need help with a leak or want to talk about preventive measures that can stop leaks from happening, call Billy Sweet Chimney Sweep today.