What is fuzzy and always found in places where it doesn’t need to be? No, not your family pet, but mold. Mold is extremely dangerous and can grow anywhere. Too often homeowners learn that mold is a problem in their home, and could have been prevented with proper maintenance. However, if it is found in time, it can be removed. To learn more about keeping your chimney mold free, call the experts at Billy Sweet Chimney Sweep. These guys can help with sweeps, inspections, and many other fireplace needs!
What is chimney mold?
The mold found inside of your chimney grows the same as any other type of mold you know of. Mold can grow in less than two days from a spot of standing water. If chimney mold is left long enough, it can spread into the foundation of your home. Because mold comes in a variety of textures and colors, you may not notice it when you see it. This is why it is important to have a Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) certified professional come do your annual sweep and inspection.
How do you get rid of chimney mold?
Once you find out where the mold has begun to grow, you can begin to remove it. Chimney technicians will start by checking for cracks in the chimney’s structure and where flue precipitation collects. They will also do a controlled water test where they spray water on the chimney in increments so they can see where it absorbs. If your flashing has become damaged, there can also be water leaks. Flashing is the group of metal strips that form layers where the chimney and roof meet. Overtime, this can become loose, but can be repaired by your technician.
Even though you can technically remove a spot of mold less than three square feet by yourself, it is still recommended that you call a technician for safety. If it is not removed properly, it can continue to spread. Also, it can cause severe rashes if it comes into contact with your skin.
How can you prevent mold from growing in my chimney in the future?
You cannot prevent mold from growing completely, but you can reduce the chances by having your unit waterproofed. Your technician can have this done in a day if you only need one coat. However, if you live in a wet area, it is often recommended that you have two. This should be done on a dry day for the sealant to have top performance.